Volunteer Role Profile
Read on for a quick round up of why we want you and what volunteering at the Cancer Research UK London Winter Run on Sunday 25th February will involve…..
Why We Need You!
The Cancer Research UK London Winter Run needs enthusiastic, proactive and practical individuals, who are prepared to be placed in a variety of roles at the event. If you want to join the delivery team of a major Central London sporting event and all whilst supporting the vital work of Cancer Research UK then this is the role for you!
What Skills Do You Need?
- Great interpersonal and communication skills
- A willingness to work as part of a team
- Enthusiasm and a pro-active attitude
- A flexible approach
- Be active as some areas of this role may involve some lifting, standing, walking about etc
What Will You Be Doing?
Event roles will include:
- We are looking for happy, friendly and enthusiastic volunteers for our meet and greet team!
- This is a really important position as you will be the first members of the event delivery team that our participants meet when they arrive in Westminster on event day – and possibly the last face they see when they have finished the event and are looking to head home!
- This is a really fulfilling role as you will get to meet thousands of our runners and have the chance to welcome them to London, put a smile on their face, and get them motivated for their run!
- A good knowledge of London and how to get around so that you can advise and direct our participants & spectators on how to get to the Event Village from a particular tube station and how to leave the area would be a bonus!
Helping With The Management Of The Start
- We need enthusiastic and friendly volunteers who can join our start team to motivate and inspire all our runners before they set off on their 10k challenge.
- You will be required to communicate and help control the flow the thousands of runners to the start line so that they start in the right place and at the right time and with a smile on their face!
Welcoming Back Runners Into The Finish Area
- We need all singing all dancing happy, cheering, loud volunteers to welcome our runners across the finish line and to congratulate them on their achievement.
- You will be adorning them with medals and making sure they (hopefully!) get a well-deserved hug from our Polar Bear Hug Squad.
Helping Out At The Bag Drop Off / Collection Area
- This is a crucial area to the success of the event.
- This area needs to be looked after by a dedicated team of friendly, switched-on volunteers who can help to run the bag drop area like clockwork!
- Directing runners in the right direction for maximum efficient flow.
Helping Out At The Info Desk or Volunteer Room
- We need welcoming and friendly volunteers to help out at the Info Desk and assist with any queries the participants might have.
- You could also be assisting with welcoming all the other fantastic volunteers to the event and ensuring they have everything they need for the day ahead!
- You will be part of a team who are our eyes and ears on the course. You will be positioned at key points around the run route to help direct our runners in the right direction and all whilst cheering them on and keeping them motivated. So you will need to be loud and energetic no matter what the weather!
- You may also be located at key crossing points across the route to ensure that members of the public can safely cross the route. For this role you will need to be confident, friendly and be prepared to use your voice!
As well as the above roles we have a number of Costume Roles!
- These roles are located both in the Venue and on the Route and are some of the most talked about part of the event!
- You could be a Husky handing out High-5s on to passing runners or a dancing, cheering Penguin, or a Polar Bear dishing out the celebratory hugs in the Finish Area…
How Much Time Do You Need To Commit?
Your shift will be a maximum of 8 hours, but most will likely be shorter depending on the location and role you are given and the area in which you will work. A rough idea of shift times for the event will be from 07.00 – 14.00. However, please note we will not know the exact shift timings until nearer the event date and so more accurate information will be given to you by the event volunteer team.
What Support Will You Be Given?
A member of the team will be in touch before the event to send you a full briefing about your role. A team leader will brief, guide, support, and work closely with you on the day at the event.
What Are The Benefits?
- An exclusive volunteer only reward – TBC
- The satisfaction of knowing that you are making a valuable contribution to the event that is helping to raise vital funds to support the life-saving work of Cancer Research UK
- The opportunity to develop communication and event skills
- Experience working at a major central London sporting event and the biggest 10k in the UK!
- The enjoyment of meeting new people and being a part of our team
- The knowledge that you will have made a positive impact and provided invaluable support, improving the experience of participants and spectators
How Do I Sign Up?
Please click on one of the ‘CLICK HERE TO VOLUNTEER’ buttons and follow the registration process, it will ask for you to choose your preferred role*, if you don’t not know which role you would prefer then please choose ‘No Role Preference’ option.
If you have any queries or issues please email email@example.com
*Please note that while every effort is made to allocate you to your preferred role we do ask for flexibility as other areas may need more volunteers.